Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Week 1 Homework Assignment - Exposure Compensation

Tonight is my second photography class and so I am spent a little time this afternoon practicing the last part of the homework assignment, exposure compensation. This was something completely new to me. I have always seen the button on my camera but had no idea what it did. I set the camera in program mode or P on my camera settings and then pushing down on the +/- button I adjusted it to underexpose -1 and snapped a picture of David, he volunteered to be my test subject!


Then I changed the settings to so that it was overexposed +1.


And to have a control, an image back to 0 (or the middle!)


After taking the images we were asked to look at the histograms of each image. The first image's histogram would be skewed to the left, showing that the image was underexposed whereas the second images's histogram would be skewed to the right showing it was overexposed. That will bring us to the start of tonight's class which will cover topics like white balance and more on the histograms!

I also feel the need point out that all of my homework assignment images that I am posting are of the images straight out of the camera. I usually like to edit all of my images before posting but editing them would defeat the purpose of the assignments!

No comments:

Post a Comment